Pages

Friday, May 29, 2009

A $500 discount and 2 dozen fresh oysters

With a deal like that, who could say no?

I know I would certainly consider taking someone up on that offer. And with elaborate beach front houses on the scenic east coast being rented for cheap this summer, a $500 discount would do wonders. In a New York Times article posted today (which is conveniently located on the left hand side of my blog), rentals for beach front vacation homes is down significantly from last year. The reason for the sluggish behavior is that people are taking their time before they jump into a commitment. They are shopping around for the best deals, more bang for their buck. Luckily for people who are wanting to rent, there are incredible deals right now because people are desperate to get their properties occupied for the summer. Another positive, many locations are still available for holidays--4th of July and Labor Day.

So what about those oysters? Just another perk for the renters. People are thinking of anything and everything to lure in travelers. But the economy is what it is, and it's less likely that beach homes will be rented out for the entire summer as they have been in the past. And with properties still available this late in the game, and at such great prices, it's worth taking a look at the deals you can get.

There is a condo in Garden City Beach, South Carolina, that is being offered for a week as just over $1,000. Even for a graduate student, that's doable. I'm not saying I'm putting the payment in right now, but if I had the money, I would seriously consider it. I love South Carolina, and I haven't been back there since I was a kid. And as for the other various destinations along the east coast, I've never been to Cape Cod or Maryland or any of those beaches. So just for the fun of it, I may look at some of these websites and float away in the hopeful bliss of my imagination. One day in the future I will make the commitment and rent a vacation home on the beach...but I doubt the deals will be this sweet.



1 comment:

  1. It's crazy that you saw the Condo in Garden City for $1000 bucks. Thats like 10 miles from my Grandpa's beach villa. I maintain that we should go to the Villa though. We could stay for a week for free rather the $1000. This is the resort his place is at http://www.litchfieldbeach.com/.

    On another note.. I still expect to see my Bruge review :-)

    ReplyDelete