Pages

Friday, March 19, 2010

An Adventure in Your Own Backyard

I realize I have been absent from my blog this past week, and I want to apologize. Life has been very hectic with work and finishing up final papers for classes. But I am officially on my spring break now, so I should have more time to post.

One thing I have realized from all the work I've been given is that there are incredible places to visit right outside our door. Yes, right here in the U.S., there are plenty of places to go.

I know I talk a lot about heading overseas to exotic destinations and far-off countries. But anything that differs from our everyday lives can be considered exotic. Maybe not in the contectual sense of the word, seeing as most of us consider rainforests and rare animals and primitive cultures exotic, but a dictionary definition states: of a uniquely new or experimental nature; strikingly unusual or strange in effect or appearance. I can say with confidence that many places in this country seem very odd at first glance, because, let's face it, we're not accustomed to them.

Through my research for my travel writing internship, I have discovered fascinating facts about cities I never even thought to visit. Now, I really want to go to Boise, Idaho. Yep, never thought I would ever say that. But the city of trees--yes, that's it's nickname--looks like a great place for a long weekend. The city is a recreational paradise, with rafting, hiking, skiing and biking. It has fascinating museums and impressive historical landmarks. It's home to the largest concentration of Basque people in the United States. And did I mention they serve the best fingersteaks anywhere? That's because no one else makes them!

A couple other cities I am adding to my list of destinations are Albuquerque and San Antonio. Both have an air of the old west combined with the vibrant culture of Mexico. And they have some great attractions. Who wouldn't want to see the Alamo? Or ride the longest tram up a mountain? If nothing else, the food is spectacular, I'm sure. I plan on trying both red and green chile on my food in Albuquerque, and I will definitely get a tamale in San Antonio, along with some pan de dulce!

Of course I want to see the world, but part of that is venturing to cities in my own country. So let the journey begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment