Pages

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

New "Getting Lost" Section in Travel

As many of you know, I really enjoy reading the New York Times Travel section. The destination features, the travel tips, the beautiful pictures...there's just so much to love. And now there is one more column I will definitely be reading. It's called "Getting Lost," and it chronicles the events of New York Times columnist Matt Gross as he actively attempts to get himself lost in a number of different cities around the world. The column discusses what he ends up finding and who he runs into as he wanders through streets without  gps, a map, a compass or an agenda.

This kind of spontaneous travel is something to be admired, because how often do we all meticulously plot out our trips, from flight itineraries and hotel accommodations to scheduled tours and package deals? Imagine showing up at a city with no hotel reservations, no directions, no information about the city and even less of a clue as to how to get around. You might have a minor panic attack--I know I would. But this is what Gross is planning to do, and you know what, I'm seriously considering trying this sometime. (You know, if I can subdue my neurotic tendencies for even just a few days.) I figure, some of the most memorable moments are the ones that aren't planned.

Check out Matt Gross first "Getting Lost" entry where he loses himself in Tangier.

No comments:

Post a Comment