Pages

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Christmas in the Sun

2009_1122Halloween0111I guess you can call me a traditionalist when it comes to Christmas. Cold weather, snow on the ground, pine trees, presents under the tree, roaring fireplace, mugs of hot chocolate, a roasted ham and dinner with family. However, this is not the ideal scenario for everyone during the holidays. Two of my friends just left for a trip to Hawaii to celebrate Christmas. Warm temperatures, beaches, palm trees and dinner at a hotel restaurant. I know many people who take trips to warmer climates during the Christmas season, opting for a few days of sun instead of snow, catered dinners rather than home-cooked meals.

For some, going on a vacation at Christmas is the norm. Whether its heading to a tropical paradise or visiting family in another country, a holiday trip serves the purpose of getting people away from the hectic atmosphere Mahaulepu2that can erupt during this time. Cooking, entertaining, decorating and cleaning can all take a toll, making the holiday season feel more like a chore than a break. A getaway to a warm destination is an opportunity for people to relax, order room service and have everything provided for them. Not only that, but they can enjoy the outdoors without worrying about getting frostbite. It is certainly understandable why many families decide to travel for the holidays.

Winter Break 07-08 (14)I have only spent one Christmas away from home in a warm climate. I was fourteen, and my family took a trip to Australia to see my dad’s sisters and parents. It being their summer, it was in the high 70s and 80s the whole time. I spent Christmas day swimming in the pool, getting a tan and barbequing fresh seafood. It was certainly a change from the norm, and for one year it was enjoyable. And while doing a trip like that again could be fun, I know deep down it’s not for me. So for now, I’ll stick with my traditional ways, trimming the tree and opening gifts in front of the fire with my family. This is Christmas for me, and it’s how I like to celebrate it.

 

1 comment:

  1. I hear ya, give me the snow, the cold, the hot cocoa (with some bailey's) and I am as happy as a clam! Maybe one of these days i'll head to a warmer climate for Winter, but the Midwest is my place to be...great topic!

    ReplyDelete