Pages

Monday, February 6, 2012

Win a Dream Retirement...For A Month

If you of (or close to) retirement age and wondering about where you should spend the rest of your days after leaving the workforce, then listen up!

Cuenca. Credit: Hugo Ghiara
InternationalLiving.com is looking for two people to spend a month living in Ecuador to experience retirement living in the city of Cuenca. This was named the top retirement spot in the website's 2012 Global Retirement Index, thanks to its low-cost of living, ideal climate and friendly locals.

Basically, the winners will get the spend 30 days relaxing, shopping, dining and exploring, and then writing about the experience for International Living. (Plus, they'll get paid for the article.) It seems like a pretty sweet deal. This might be the only time that I will ever say that I wish I were at retirement age.

So, for those who can enter this contest, you have to post a three minute video on YouTube explaining why you would like to retire overseas and why you want to try Ecuador. The deadline is March 15.

Winners get free airfare, a place to live for four weeks, plus $1,500 in spending money.

So, is Cuenca worth it?

It is the country's third largest city and is located within the Andes region. It is known for its cobble-stoned colonial streets, where you can view its old-world cathedrals and parks. It is also famous for producing more notable writers, poets and artists thatn anywhere else in Ecuador--so there are plenty of museums and sites dedicated to those individuals. It has an eclectic, bohemian nightlife, with incredible bars and restaurants. And there are dozens of hiking trails in the countryside just outside the city where you can explore its natural beauty.

I have always wanted to go to South America, and I certainly would love to check out Ecuador. Although, I think Chile and Argentina are higher up on my list. But if I were to be sent to Cuenca, I certainly would not complain. It sounds like an incredible city, especially considering its literary background. As far as retiring there, I'm not so sure I would want to live there for a long period of time. But I'm sure many others would be eager to kick off their shoes and stay a while in Ecuador.

No comments:

Post a Comment