Pages

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

How a Vacation Brightened my Mood...

And I haven't even gone on it yet.

Earlier this week, I was feeling completely down on myself. As you remember, graduation is coming up, and I have begun the job hunt. I made a goal of submitting at least one application a day--and usually I submit up to three--in the hopes that shear volume would get me somewhere. However, after almost three weeks of applying, I have only received rejections--3 to be exact. On top of that, I am also trying to finish up my masters and get through my final class. Luckily, the class work isn't too demanding, but it's still there and I still have to do it. Another factor contributing to my sorrow--money. Right now I have a job that pays and one that doesn't. Both are ending in about three weeks time and I will have zero income. My finances are already in shambles, so this will only make them worse. And finally, the project I've been working on for my apprenticeship is starting to come to a close, and people are frantically trying to get everything done, including me. I find myself having barely enough time in the day to get it all done. Not to mention I'm using a website system that has so many bugs and cliches, it's impossible to accomplish anything.

But despite everything wrong in my life, there was one thing that lifted my spirits this week: A trip to Calgary to visit my dad. I won't be going until mid-May, but just the thought of a long weekend in Canada just hanging out with my father made me so much happier. Perhaps it's the knowledge that I'll soon be getting away from all the stress in my life, or maybe that I'll get to spend quality time with my dad, or maybe that the last time I was in Calgary I had an incredible time.

The last time I visited was in 2005, the summer after my freshman year of college. I went on a road trip with my two best friends, and we drove up to Alberta from Colorado. It was one of the best trips I've ever had, and whenever I think of Calgary, I remember the vacation fondly. Now this upcoming travel adventure will be a little different. I have a few more years behind me and no friends to party with. I had always planned to return to Calgary with those two friends, or any of my college friends, or my boyfriend. But that doesn't mean I'm any less excited to go back this time. I'm ready for a great experience. I'm eager to pack a suitcase--I know I'm crazy for enjoying packing;--to get on the plane, sip a complimentary drink, and catch up on my reading; to shuffle off the plane and see my dad waiting for me at arrivals.

Even more exciting than the journey is the destination. Calgary is a modern city less than an hour away from the Canadian Rockies. It reminds me of Denver with its size and fresh downtown nightlife. Some worthy attractions are Olympic Park, built for the 1986 Winter Olympics. The Pedestrian Mall downtown is brimming with local vendors selling clothes, jewelry, art and food. The Calgary Tower offers a panoramic view of the city and the mountains in the distance as well as a glass floor experience peering straight down to the streets below.

One of my favorite parts of the city is the river. In the summer, locals rent rafts--or bring their own if they have them--and float along the gentle current, sipping on beer or wine. My friends and I had the privilege of experiencing this relaxing cruise, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who visits. I may not be able to do it this time around due to weather, but if I do, I'll be sure to report back about it.

It's comforting to know that something as simple as a weekend away is enough to brighten my demeanor. Rays penetrate my darker-than-a-rainy-day attitude, and I feel a sense of relief. If just the thought of a trip can have this effect, I wonder how the actual vacation will permeate my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment