Pages

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Any Travel Trends or News?

Ok, so one of the courses I am taking this quarter is Magazine Writing, and I know I am in for quite a lot of work. Basically, I have two articles to write, and while that might not seem like much it is actually going to be difficult. The stories have to be locally based, meaning happening in Chicago mainly, and they need to be timely and prominent in the news. I also have to have face-to-face interviews with 3-4 sources for each one.

The first task is to find story ideas. Right now I am really struggling finding anything that has not been done already. I mean, I read the news so of course I know about stuff going on, but already I'm behind the journalists who wrote it. How am I suppose to come up with fresh ideas if they're taking all of them?

My professor told us to think of areas that interest us and focus on news stories there because those are the things that we really care about. Well, I love travel. But with my luck, Chicago does not have much going on in that area. The only thing I can think of is the Olympic bid, but we don't know if we have it yet...not until Oct. 2 And, let's be honest, that has pretty much been written to death.

So if anyone has any thoughts about some current events relating to travel and Chicago, I would really appreciate the help.

No comments:

Post a Comment