Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Figuring Out the Future...I'm Getting There

As many of you know, or don't know, I started a new job at the beginning of this month. No, I am no longer filing away applications at DePaul. Now, I am writing technical user guides for website building systems. Doesn't that sound exciting? Well it's not. Trust me. I have been here three weeks, and I already know this is not what I want to do with the rest of my life. So I am going to push through the rest of this apprenticeship (one of the main reasons I took it--looks good on a resume and good experience) until I am finished around April or May, and then it's on to bigger and better things.

The goal? Working for the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs. Why you ask? Because one of their divisions is the office of tourism. Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, JACKPOT! If there is one place I know I can work, it's there. Travel + promoting a city I love + organizing events for tourists and citizens = dream job! Also, after looking into the website a little more, I noticed that the Cultural Affairs department also has divisions in publishing, fashion, and culinary arts. All things I love and enjoy almost as much as travel!

So the plan is to inquire about any positions as soon as possible. If there aren't any available jobs, I will just keep contacting them every couple weeks, that way they will know my name. I also plan on sending in a hard copy of a resume and cover letter to them, which should illicit even more of a response. Finally, I will ask about volunteer opportunities at the Cultural Center or Millenium Park or anything else they may have going on in the next couple months. The more involved I become, the better chance I have of snagging a job.

Cross your fingers for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment