Pages

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Seriously Need a Vacation

I don't even care where I go, I just need a break from it all. I'm in my final week of classes, and I have a long paper due next Tuesday, and then I'm finished for the summer. But, in reality, it doesn't end when I submit that 10-12 page, wanna-shoot-myself-in-the-head paper. I still have work and an internship through the summer, and since I'm not getting paid at my internship I have to get credit for it over these next three months and write a 25-page paper about my experience. On top of that, I've been given a new assignment at my internship where I get to write a by-line for a publication that my company works with. It's exciting to get another opportunity to write and get my work published, but it's more stress placed on me because I'm not a marketing major (I work for a marketing research company) and when I have to point out possible trends, create graphs and tables from data I don't understand, I worry that I'm going to screw something up. What if what I think is a trend isn't actually one? Or what if I look at the numbers wrong and create some out-of-whack table? What if the magazine and my company doesn't like what I write because God knows I don't always know what I'm talking about? I'm not a marketing expert. Hell, sometimes I don't even think I'm that great of a writer. Self-doubt can be a bitch.

So I've decided that when I get home from work tonight, I am booking a flight. In all honesty, it isn't going to be to anywhere exciting. I just need to leave Chicago for a few days. I'm thinking home to Denver is the best plan. I can relax with old friends, see my grandparents, shop with my mom, get a haircut (I desperately need one) and just spend time away from the stress of the city. Sometimes you just need to get away.

No comments:

Post a Comment