Pages

Monday, February 8, 2010

A Song for the Road

As I was driving up to the Northern reaches of Wisconsin with my friends this weekend , we swayed to the ever-twangy beats and heartfelt lyrics of country music. While I do not listen to country often, it got me thinking about the genre as classic road trip music. Why does an upbeat tune about a dog or a tractor suddenly make the open road feel alive and exciting? Why do I all of a sudden want to tap my feet and belt out the cheesey lines about love or heartbreak? It makes the trip speed by if for just a brief moment.

But it isn't just country that can bring on these kinds of feelings when you travel, it can be any kind of music. So I thought back to when I was backpacking through Europe a couple summers ago and what my ipod kept playing over and over again. Over the course of seven weeks, I listened to a lot of music, but for some reason the Beatles seemed to loop through my headphones more often than any other artist. Why? I couldn't really tell you, but those four talented boys from Liverpool were my trusted companions through it all. What my fellow travelers listened to the most I am unsure, but something kept playing in their heads as we treked from town to town.

But what is the best travel song out there? What is hands-down, no-question the absolute best song to venture around the world with? Whose to say? To each his own, right? There may not be one perfect travel song, but there are a lot out there to choose from. So why not mention them all! They're all worthy!

It's decided then....each week I'll pick two travel songs to feature on my blog. whether they are about the act of traveling, a destination to travel to, or just a song that gets me in the travel spirit. And here is the first song of the week:
The Long and Winding Road--The Beatles

No comments:

Post a Comment